Let’s get right to it today – the good stuff. When it comes to sweets, I just can’t wait any longer. These Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are seriously delicious. You’ll want to simultaneously eat them all and give them away to everyone you know just to see them wonder how something so tasty could exist. Fresh lemon taste, poppy seed texture, and a tangy lemon glaze to top it all off. What’s not to love? Lemon is probably the most-loved flavor in our house. It’s Cody’s all-time favorite, and it’s great for baking, which means that I love it, too. Can you tell? 🙂
My favorite part of making lemon-anything is grating the lemons to get the zest. That sweet citrus smell is amazing! And there is nothing I love more than a muffin and coffee in the morning. Let’s be honest, I’m willing to get out of bed a little faster when there are baked goods involved.
I adapted this recipe from another recipe I found on Pinterest, which is originally from Creme de la Crumb, a food blog that I’m basically in love with. I like to make modifications to baking recipes to make them a little lighter, without sacrificing flavor. This recipe is already half-way there because it uses fat-free greek yogurt, which adds protein and cuts the fat of using oil. I switched it up a little bit by substituting the white flour with a white + whole wheat flour mixture, added a tad more greek yogurt, and made my own version of the icing, without the cream cheese.
I can somehow rationalize eating a couple more muffins when there’s whole wheat flour in it. “This is good for me, right? Right! It’s whole wheat!” – my mind on muffins.
LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
For the muffins:
2/3 cup white/all purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter (4 tbsp.)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. lemon zest (about 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons)
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp. fat-free plain greek yogurt
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
For the icing:
2 tbsp. butter (softened)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and prepare a muffin pan with liners or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients – flours, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, or stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar. Then, add the remaining wet ingredients – eggs, vanilla, lemon juice & zest, and greek yogurt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Then, stir in the poppy seeds.
- Fill your muffin tins to 2/3 full, then bake for 13-16 minutes (Mine were good at 14!). Remove from tin and allow to cool before icing.
- For the icing, mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add more lemon juice to taste. Pour over your cooled muffins, and enjoy!