I’ve told you about how much I love birthdays, right? They’re pretty great. You get a whole day just to celebrate someone for who they are! It might have something to do with the fact that I’m a huge fan of encouraging others, but I love to make people feel special on their birthday. How cool is it that everyone has a day out of the year just to know how much they are loved and cherished by the people in their life?
Okay, birthday rant over. I made these funfetti cake pops for an end-of-summer party, not a birthday. But, they are totally perfect for birthday celebrations when you want cake without the hassle of baking, filling, leveling, frosting, cutting, and then cleaning it up (and especially when you can’t frost a cake to save your life. Ahem, me.) Also, I should mention that they are de.li.cious. It’s a little two-bite ball of dense, perfectly moist cake with just the right amount of frosting on top. You get the full effect of birthday cake without eating a whole slice (unless of course, you eat like 5 of these).
For this recipe, I used Pillsbury’s Funfetti cake mix, but you can totally use what ever mix you wanted. Red velvet, yellow cake, strawberry, chocolate… take your pick 🙂 I call these “no-fuss” cake pops because I’m really not worried about making them perfectly round with no bumps or getting the frosting totally smoothed out. No way. When I think of cake pops, I think of those perfect Pinterest-y, smooth, round cake pops that don’t even have a flat side since they stick up from a base. But I’m not up for all that; I just want a nice and easy way to make those delicious things. Well, here it is! Plus they are easy because – duh – cake mix and store-bought icing. No need to measure flour or make frosting here! Some people might tell me “Well now that’s not very healthy! Do you know what kind of chemicals and preservatives are in ready-made frosting?!” But let me tell you that if I’m eating a cake pop, healthy is not really on my mind. Nevertheless, if you prefer to make your own frosting or cake mix, feel free to substitute it into the recipe. It’s going to be delicious either way 🙂
No-Fuss Funfetti Cake Pops
1 box Funfetti cake mix (or homemade; enough for 1 cake)
1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
3 whole eggs
1 can vanilla frosting
your choice of sprinkles
cake pop sticks
1. Follow the directions on the box to make the cake. This includes mixing the first 4 ingredients, then baking at 350°F for the appropriate amount of time based on your baking container (see box).
2. When the cake is baked and cooled, crumble the entire thing fully with a fork. Make sure there are no big chunks! Measure 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp of vanilla frosting and mix it thoroughly with the cake crumbs. Your mixture should hold together well when pressed together with your fingers. If needed, add more frosting to the mix.
3. Form 1 1/2 inch balls of the mixture by rolling in your hands. Place each ball on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. When all of your pops are formed, place a cake pop stick in each one. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
4. Remove your cake pops from the freezer. Melt the remainder of your frosting by microwaving it for 10 second intervals. Mine too about 30 seconds to become liquid.
5. Dip each cake pop in the melted frosting, and place sprinkles on top for decoration. Place back in the freezer for another 45-60 minutes, or until ready to be served. Enjoy! 🙂